Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy, Day 1

I’m working from home today.  Not the kind of work-from-home that includes pizza and beers with all the friends that are also “working from home”.  Nope.  The kind of work from home where you are logged in for 14 hours because everyone else you work with cannot. 
Not to sound callous, but in the midst of all this?  I’ve started to hope for lost power too.
It comes first as a grumble…
“Ugh, this sucks.”  
An hour passes and I start to get testy...
“Are those my co-workers frolicking on facebook??  Can’t connect on your laptop, huh?  Sure…”
Two hours pass and I start to daydream...
“If I just lost internet, I wouldn’t be able to log in and I could enjoy the rest of my day…”
Four hours pass and I start to get a little desperate...
“If I lost power, my boss would have to stop calling me!  Plus, I have enough scented candles to keep me lit for days and smelling like I’ve had a shower!  Can I fake it?”
Six hours pass and I start to negotiate with God…
“Maybe mom is right!  If I find Jesus, maybe he’ll make the power go out! Um, Jesus?”
10 seconds pass and…
 The TV shuts off.
I slowly turn towards the living room, “Jesus?”
2 seconds pass…
I look around in confusion.  No TV, but the lights are on!  What the heck is going on?
3 seconds pass.
I spot the cat sitting on the remote.
1 second passes.
“Godammit!”
Back to work.

2. At the end of this very long day, I know to be true:  My cat is entirely too fat if he can shut off the TV with just his hiney.

No comments:

Post a Comment